Good Morning Children of ‘Idée fixe,’
Many of us have had, as made famous by David Letterman, a “Brush with Greatness.” Sure I caught a glimpse of Barbara Streisand on Jones Beach, NY in 1972 as well as a brief smart-ass’d remark to Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1980, but I think most of us have had one or two brief encounters with the rich and famous.
I’ve referenced Bagwan’s list on more than one occasion, and with today’s last minute insertions the list of Bagged One’s chance rendezvous seems at first glance far to excessive for us normal people to comprehend let alone believe. The veracity of this list will no doubt come into question, but you need to put it in the context of the ‘Holy Fucker’s’ career and lifestyle. For 35 years he played a significant role in a high powered brokerage company that put him in a position to fly first class, stay at five star hotels, and dine at the best restaurants. Unlike we the unwashed, this put him in a position to meet the upper strata of our great country. So with that in mind, please consider his list:
Zuki’s gratuitous comment about me meeting celebrities got me to thinking about how many of the famous, near famous and infamous I crossed paths with in some 35 years of travel. I never told the stories thinking they would impress anyone — why would they. I told the stories the way old men tell any of their stories, just as a form of reminiscing. From Zuki’s tone I gather he thinks I am either a phony name dropper or maybe just a liar.
Let me see how many I can remember on this last day of the earth (May 21, 2011):
- Paul Newman and Gene Hackman at a car race
- Robert Redford at Beaver Creek
- Jack Nicholson on a plane
- Sightings at bars and hotels around LA include George Burns, Milton Berle, Michael Caine, Morley Safer, Kenny Rodgers, Ricardo Montalban, Telly Savalas, Paul Henreid
- Farrah Fawcett at the Houston airport
- Former Texas Sen. Lloyd Bentsen on an airplane
- One of the Country Hanks — Thompson or Snow, I don’t remember which
- Former NY Governors George Pataki in a restaurant and Mario Cuomo on the street
- Dick Van Dyke in a swimming pool in Arizona
- John Elway at a golf course, in bar, at another golf course, in another bar and so on
- Elizabeth Taylor at PJ Clarke’s in NY and JFK Jr. in the same place
- Rita Moreno on a plane
- The Air Force Academy mascot , a real live falcon who sat right across the aisle from me on a 2 hour flight, perched on a cadet’s arm with a hood over her head
I am sure there are more but these are all I could come up with under the time pressures given the coming events of today. I hope you are all suitably impressed.
Additions to the list:
- Billy Crystal and Tommy Smothers at LAX
- The guy that played Jaws on a plane
- Foster Brooks on a plane
- All on the same flight: Wolfman Jack, Max Robinson (ABC anchor who died of aids) and Peter Strauss
- Tom Watson on an elevator
- Met with Tom Kite for business
- John Lee Hooker on a flight out of Santa Barbara where he had played the night before at UCSB and Sam Donaldson on a flight to SB on his way to irritate Ronald Reagan at his ranch.
- Wilt Chamberlain at Emerson Street East in Denver
Just remembered on 7/11/11
- Tommy Lasorda having dinner with Daryl Strawberry in a Cubs-theme restaurant in Scottsdale about when Strawberry was having problems,
- Rupert Murdoch in a restaurant on the Upper East Side in NYC
- Shared office space with the astronaut Wally Schirra
- Met Gary Hart during his Senatorial campaign of 1974 while I was working for an unsuccessful gubernatorial candidate (Mark Hogan).
- John Denver and Barry Switzer at DIA
- Terry Bradshaw at Stapleton airport.
- Dick Butkus standing out in front of the Oxford Hotel where I kept my office for 2 years
- Bart Starr and Ted Danson at Stapleton
- Sat next to Emmy Lou Harris while watching Merle Haggard perform at a bar
- Anthony Quinn walking into the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills.
- Jimmy Durante on the beach at Del Mar
- Two relatively famous New Orleans DA’s in bars: Jim Garrison & Harry Connick Sr.
- OJ Simpson and Marcus Allen together in a bar in Brentwood.
Just a few more that came to me overnight:
As I promised you before there is not a single lie on the list and in fact I have left off people like Roy Romer, Governor Hickenlooper and even Keith Jackson (on a plane).
And just a couple more:
Alexander Haig on a plane and Howard Cosell as I was walking up the steps to meet a friend at ABC in NYC. There’s probably more, but I think you get the idea.